Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Rome: The Sites

I know I really should give a brief overview of some of the historical sites we were dragged went to.

The Coliseum.

This one was the most interesting to me. Probably because I could visualize what went on here from watching the movie The Gladiator. I cannot fathom watching people kill one another as a sport. And then cheering at the end, when someone's life is taken. I imagine people brought their children there as well? I learned that the "gladiators" were usually criminals, prisoners of war, and some freedmen looking to prove something (and get some cash). That helped a little in understanding some of the crowd's detachment from the gladiators, but I still cannot imagine watching that as entertainment. I have to look away when UFC comes on. So I doubt you'd find me at that Coliseum.



Lebanese Umbrella Trees.
Soldiers marched (w/ their gear and all) in the early morning before the sun came up and in the evening as the sun was going down, to escape the heat. Until one of Rome's kings came up with a grand idea to import these trees from Lebanon to provide shade for the soldiers to march under. Lucky soldiers. With those trees, they were able to march all day long. So it was interesting to see where those trees were planted as we later drove around Rome and envision the poor soldiers marching.


The Wedding Cake.
This monument devoted to modern Italy's first king, stood out to me because of the two statues on either side. They are statues of Nike, the goddess of victory. Apparently the king had had his first (and only) defeat over another country. But it was an a-ha moment for me as I connected the meaning of the athletic brand Nike. Who would have known?


And here are just massive chunks of granite. Um, can I take that home with me for some countertops?


And that's it folks! 





No comments: