Thursday, October 07, 2010

Quirky Thursday

Because I enjoy reading people's "101 Things About Me", but know that I lack the discipline to follow through in compiling 101 things in one post, Quirky Thursday was born.

This way, I can choose to take advantage of revealing one quirky thing about myself when Thursday rolls around. Or not. But this way, an unfinished "101 Things About Me" post won't sit in the "draft" folder for years, waiting for completion.

So here's to celebrating differences, unique opinions and the ability to laugh at ourselves!

Today's quirk?

I like my eggs cooked well done.

I'm talkin' well, well done.

No sunny side ups. No over-mediums. Don't even let me see the yoke running anywhere. A few years ago I saw a poached egg for the first time, and I about died. I'm a huge texture person, so raw oysters, poached eggs and scallops are high on my list of things I would never eat nor want to look at. {shutter}

Dip my bread in yolk? I prefer butter on my bread, thank you.

I love scrambled eggs. I recently started cooking them on medium heat, per Barefoot Contessa, and they come out incredibly fluffy. But they are still cooked long enough to where there is no moisture running anywhere.

I can do fried eggs too. But I usually reserve that order for home only, because I'm far too picky about how I like them cooked. But I'll show you what my perfect fried egg entails.

Turn the stove to med-high heat and wait til it's nice and toasty hot. Crack the egg into the pan and listen to it sizzle. All things that most egg friers do. But here's where it gets tricky. Watch out now.

Immediately mutilate the yolk with spatula, so that there is zero chance of any piece being undercooked:


Sprinkle kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper on . Then flip once it's nice and brown on the underside. And take the spatula and press the life out of the egg like so:


Making sure that no surface of the egg goes untouched. Whip out those OCD tendencies that I know you have. Or maybe that's just me.

Flip again to make sure all slimy-ness is gone from both sides, and both sides are browned to a crisp. Press down just to make sure. 


And voila! The perfect fried egg:




3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love me some Quirky Thursday!

Would that poached egg that scarred you have been at my in-laws, by chance? =)

I like them that way too! however, I also like over easy egss. We grew up calling them "dunky eggs". I've taught this phrase to Jackson and Dave thinks I'm crazy.

Hugs to you all!

The Roberts Family said...

Wow, that is one mutilated and perfectly pressed down egg! I think I like these quirky thursdays =)

mel @ the larson lingo said...

You crack me up. And, that is not a fried egg, it is a scrambled egg that looks fried :)