Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 2010.

We went to our first real pumpkin patch this year. Alexia's first October we went to a small local nursery and took pictures.



I was just happy to not be pregnant anymore.


And last year was a complete failure. I convinced Ryan to drive out to a pumpkin farm on the eastern shore on a really rainy day, about an hour's drive mind you, all to find out once we got there that they were closed due to the rain. Lesson learned. Call ahead. 2009 would be pumpkins from Safeway. 

Eagerly anticipating Fall, we kicked off our October going to a fall fest pumpkin patch at Homestead Gardens. Besides the un-fallish warm weather, it was a great time.



They had all types of pumpkins, although I was hoping for the girls to actually get to see pumpkins still on the vine. Oh well. But Alexia got to feed animals for 25 cents (came out of a candy machine, cute idea). 



We came home with a big pumpkin for carving and a baby pumpkin (I learned is called a pie pumpkin because they are sweeter and used for baking.) 


And the winner is......this pumpkin!



October is one of my favorite months! Bring on the pumpkin bread, chilly and humid-free weather, and brightly colored trees. This is the beginning of entering into the holiday season! 

I was ecstatic to get our fall decor out of the storage closet. There was no way I was putting that in storage. I also pulled out our boots and sweaters, and switched out the girls' spring/summer clothes. One of my favorite organizing activities. 

Last year is the first real fall decor shopping I had ever done. And I deemed it necessary to win back the fall spirit that had been stolen from two straight years of nausea. Here's last year's fall preparation.

It is so fun to pull out seasonal decor as tradition. It's one of the things that make me feel like being a mom. Since growing up there really wasn't a woman's touch in our home when it came to decor. (My dad was an amazing single dad. I can't even begin to tell you how he did it.) 

Here's some of our festive goodies around our home this year. 

Last year's purchases, twig pumpkins:


Leaf dish w/ mini pumpkins (Alexia picked the pumpkins out at Trader Joe's):


Table runner and berry twigs made a comeback. This year I put the twigs in a brown pitcher I had, since last year's acorn vase was a bust. It was so fun to pick acorns with Alexia, but little tiny white worms ended up crawling around in the vase. And if there's anything that can make me puke on demand, it's maggots or anything that resemble them. And the other wild foliage I used ended up being such a mess. Was so cute in the Pottery Barn magazine, and even in my home for the first week. I'll stick to the unnatural this year though.  



And this year I splurged and bought this wall decor for $7 at Target:



With this trip to Target I also bought my very own pumpkin shaped peppermint patties. They have been a fun treat for myself with my coffee during the girls' afternoon nap. I also picked up Reeses peanut butter cups just for fun. For Halloween of course. 'Tis the season to start eating comforting goodies. 

I put a few ghords on a cake stand on our bookshelf:


And Ryan's mom gives me mums every fall. So Ryan planted those for me, since he's got the green thumb, and I have been very unfaithful to water them. But here they are in their dehydrated glory, with our pumpkins, on our patio. 


Alexia and I finally baked our first batch of pumpkin bread this year. Stealing an idea from another blog I follow, we made mini-loaves to deliver to our new-ish neighbors. 


My hope is that it will create a sense of community amidst our apartment living friends. I've realized how much people protect their privacy in apartments. Which is one of the things I am craving right now too. 

But the reality of the lack of relationship was made apparent to me when a knock came at my door the first month we were here. It was our neighbor that lives diagonally from us (there's four apartments to each floor) and her father who was visiting, and they were looking for a tool to borrow. They introduced themselves and the father explained that he had asked his daughter if she could simply "ask one of her neighbors" for the tool, and she said she didn't know any of her neighbors. 

This was wild to me, coming from a neighborhood where we were able to experience such a community in our last house with the families on our street. Ryan pioneered that one, because my natural bent is to want to stick to myself. But Ryan pushed me out of my comfort zone enough times that I was able to experience a relationship with our former neighbors where eggs and sugar were borrowed a lot from one another. 

All that to say, it's been my desire to get to know my neighbors. At least to where I know their first names and maybe get to the level where I feel comfortable asking to borrow an egg. Maybe it won't happen. Maybe I'll come across as a really needy and intrusive neighbor. Even if they don't enjoy me stalking them at their doors, I know they will enjoy the pumpkin bread!

Wish you all a Happy Fall!














1 comment:

Me said...

Great idea, Shannon. Hudson and I took Christmas cookies around to our neighborhood last year (a very UN-British thing to do), but it was amazing how well everyone responded and all the "hellos" we got in the streets afterwards. Now... what to do this year??? I doubt you will regret the choice in the end - unless you have a pyscho neighbor. =)