Thursday, October 22, 2009

Alexia is 17 Months 10.22.09



I can't believe how much can happen within a month, but having an almost year-and-a-half old magnifies the concept. I realize I need to journal the events that happen, in order to remember.

By reading other moms' blogs, I really enjoy the "update" posts being written TO their child. My hopes are for my girls to read about their childhood through my perspective, so I've decided to write their month birthday posts as if I'm talking to them.

*******

Alexia, you are growing up faster than I want you to! But I'm not going to get sentimental right now, I don't feel like crying today, so here's what you've been up to...

You point to the sky every time you hear an airplane (which is quite often since we are neighbors with the Naval Academy and BWI airport). Often times, I see you pointing to the sky BEFORE I've even heard the plane!

You love to share when you've gone "poo" or "pee-pee" by saying exactly that and tugging at your diaper. You don't even mind if strangers are listening. For the first time this last month, you have informed Daddy in advance and have actually gone "poo-poo" and "pee-pee" on the potty. I must admit, I feel quite cheesy sharing the news with friends and family, but the truth is, WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU! Even over your "business in the bathroom." Never would I have imagined being so excited about little logs in the toilet.

This last month, we have introduced cookies to your little world. It has made me realize how often I eat dessert for breakfast. You do a little dance when you know a cookie is coming your way, where you giggle and run in place. A friend recently made the great statement of, "Kids simply outwardly display what we adults are thinking inside." Cookies are to you, what coffee is to me.

You have really started to talk these days. I was blown away by your first attempts to start repeating me with: ball, balloon, water, up-up, shoe and cereal. But since then, you have just kept on talking! Here are more words: Mama (grandma), Pa (grandpa), Unc (uncle - this is real throaty too, you sound sort of tribal), Nigh-nigh (night-night), Nai-Nai (what you refer to Naiya as), Da-da (this is how you say thank you and please, along with signing thank you with your hand to your mouth), duck (which sounds the same as dog), and the latest and greatest, I love you! The way you say it reminds me of Astro from the Jetsons, "Wa Wuh Woo." It cracks me up to watch you run into something or trip and then look up at me and say "ow" and rub it. Although, it's definitely for dramatic effect sometimes.


I'm amazed that your hair continues to get lighter even though it's not summer. And your curls are so fun and unexpected. Our only conclusion is that you got a little of your Grandpa Grossman's genes. You now have two molars on top, and two more bottom teeth.

I made my first call to poison control when I found you licking the powder of a dishwasher tab off your hand. Nothing came of it and I was told not to worry, and we have since then tied a rubberband around the cabinets underneath the sink.

You love to be the first one to say hi to Naiya when she wakes up from a nap. You love kissing her, patting her lovingly on the back, and saying "boo!" to her between the crib bars. I love watching her smile back at you. I pray that you are the best of friends!

One of my favorite things right now is to hear the pitter-patter of your footsteps. It's never a casual stroll, always a sprint. Case in point below:


You are well aware of what things you are not allowed to get into. Once we have told you not to touch something, you confirm the instruction by pointing to whatever it is and repeating, "no-no". Which is funny, because we don't use those words when talking to you, but your interpretation is "no-no". Your quite compliant personality has allowed us to avoid babyproofing our home. Although your current favorite form of disobeying is standing up in your high chair. It's interesting to watch you slowly stand up with this look in your eye, you know that we know that you know you're not supposed to stand up. One day you took it to a whole new level. I left you to finish up eating a banana, while I went to tend to Naiya in her room. When I came back to the dining room, I found you sitting on the tray of your high chair, feet dangling, reaching for a cup on the dining table. Not a care in the world. I think that was the turning point where we decided on enforcing the no-standing-in-your-highchair rule.

You are well on your way to climbing onto/into everything. I've also seen a little bit of Daddy's engineering mind in you. Tinkering with things, putting objects into holes, taking pen caps on and off.

You are still taking two, two-hour naps a day, and your bedtime schedule is 8pm-8am.

No comments: