Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hello Fall. It's Good To Be Back.




In order to make up for lost falls (two years worth, to be exact), I made it my mission these last couple days to Fall-ify our home. The girls and I spent yesterday going from store to store to find all the Fall home decor essentials (and I finally used my gift cards from Christmas).
Our first stop: Kohl’s, to purchase this lovely leaf candy dish:




I tried caramel candy corn off of a recommendation from a high school girlfriend (thanks Melissa!) and I’m sold. Plus, I like the color better than the Spring-ish looking originals. (When I started buying candy for decor reasons, I don’t know.) And later I grabbed some fabulous wine colored, whispy grass from our front yard and put it in a vase.
Our next stops were to Target and then TJ Max for dining room essentials:




The next morning I bundled Alexia up in warm clothes for the most perfect Fall day to go collect acorns in our backyard. Here’s Mama’s little helper at work:






And of course, everything has to go in this child’s mouth:





Which, by the way, I was told the appendix’s function is to break down bark. So although most people do not use this organ, I can assure you Alexia’s appendix is alive and kickin’.
The last couple days have made me so excited to create our own seasonal family traditions. So keep me updated with some of yours, I would love to have ideas. And I absolutely love creative projects, so here is the end result, compliments of the latest Pottery Barn catalog (I like doing the project, but not coming up with the ideas):




In the left candleholder are the acorns we collected and the right one has leaves we picked off a tree out front. I love the colors, the cost (free, of course!) and knowing Alexia had a hand in it all too.
Also in this week of Fall overload, I made a homemade soup for the first time. I’m realizing homemade food is not as intimidating as I thought (thank you Ina Garten). Time consuming, yes, but do-able. For my first whack at soup, I made Lentil Sausage Soup. (Tip: I used canned chicken broth, because who has time to make their own?) Here’s the outcome




It was a hit according to all of my guinea pigs forced to try my amateur cooking experiments. And I love that it made enough for me to serve dinner for three, give to friends that just became parents of two, and freeze for a later time. So to add to seasonal traditions, making homemade soup is on the list. I love the idea of our kids having nostalgia for seasonal foods when they get older.
Now all I need is a pumpkin candle (all natural!) from my mother-in-law, Karen, who has her own candle business, Mia Bella. Oh, and there is a maple brown sugar candle that is to die for. It’s the smell equivalent to having baking goodies in the oven, minus the work.
Our final sign of Fall in the Grossman household consisted of Ryan and his brothers splitting wood in the backyard. We even concluded last night’s dinner with friends, by taking turns chopping wood. (I sat this one out due to fear of busting a stitch). Who knew chopping wood could be a form of entertainment? But you would be surprised how many people have been suckered into “helping”. Seriously, over the years there have been many times I have looked outside and found friends, brothers, friends of brothers, all taking turns chopping wood. I guess it’s a manly thing to do. Ryan even assured me, “it’s fun, you should try.” Maybe next time.
Well friends (and family), expect numerous posts about Fall, as I eat up every minute of not being pregnant this year.

No comments: