Monday, October 19, 2009

Dusting Off The Ol' Sewing Machine

Since I’ve been following the blog of my friend, Melissa, I’ve had the itch to get back into the world of creativity. You have GOT to see her ideas for birthday parties for her girls (and year-old photo shoots). So to kick things off I dragged my sewing machine (compliments of my mother-in-law from a garage sale) out of the closet and made use of burp cloths and fabric that was bought two years ago in an attempt to give homemade gifts to celebrate the birth of friends’ new little ones. So now that those babies I had in mind two years ago have far outgrown the need for burp cloths, I will redirect to new babies. I can’t wait to show the outcome of the burp cloths! But I’m waiting for the recipients to receive their gifts in the mail, before I post pics.

However, in my (what has now become slightly obsessive) sewing madness, I decided last night at 9pm that I was going to start another project. I wanted to make a personalized onesie for Naiya (using a onesie she already had). I took off the cheesy applique that said “sweetie” from her onesie. (I love how Carters clothes fit my girls, but why – OH WHY – do they put on those not-so-cutesy sayings?) Then I sewed on my creative replacement. I finished at about 11pm, and was tempted to wake Naiya up just to try the onesie on her. I held myself back though. She is, however, wearing it today! I couldn’t help myself. It’s like putting on new baby clothes because you’re so excited, when you know you should wash it first, but you vow not to tell anyone and hope they don’t smell the “new clothes” smell on your baby. So here it is:



Next time I think I might make the letter a little smaller. And I’d like to try using a different stitch. I may be an amateur, but I’m loving it!

No comments: