Thursday, October 01, 2009

I. Hate. Bugs.

Somebody puh-lease tell me why God created insects! I know that they’re part of the food chain and without them it would be disrupted (blah, blah, blah). Isn’t there another creature less annoying that could have played the part? If there is anything that puts my OCD into high gear, it’s bugs inside my house. Speaking of which (and what sparked this post), there is currently a fly on steroids buzzing around and I cannot for the life of me get it to stop flying in order to kill it. I believe having insects constantly buzzing around my head and landing on me every so often would be a form of torture for me. We also have fruit flies that came in via corn that I have not yet had a chance to tackle because of my appendix and all. I am just not up to the mission of running around clapping fruit flies into obliteration yet.

One of the things I am most excited about Fall, in regards to bugs, is saying goodbye to my #1 Summer enemy: The Mosquito. I am definitely one of those people that will have 50 bites before anyone else even gets one (and that’s evenwith bug spray). On top of that, each bite turns into a big, red welt. There are often summer evenings where it is a huge sacrifice for me (actually, I am the sacrifice) to eat outside to bless my tropical-blood-in-his-veins husband. (Humidity and mosquitos were no strangers to the island in the Philippines that he grew up on.)I think the reason I feel compelled to turn into a bug-slayer when they’re in my home, is because they make me feel like we’re living in filth. (I do not judge when I’m in other peoples’ homes). To this day, Ryan has saved a voicemail from a couple years ago (pre-babies) where I am begging for him to hurry home because “there are like, a million flies in our dining room.” We laugh hysterically about that day, and he plays that message every so often, but I still remember that day vividly. I have no idea where all those flies came from in that short amount of time, especially since I’m a nazi when it comes to closing the door when someone goes outside (even if they’re coming right back in). But that day I went on a rampage and killed more flies than ever before. Strangely, they were gone by the time Ryan came home. He thinks I made the whole thing up (I can certainly be dramatic, but I would like to think I don’t go out of my way to create the drama). But my sweet, loving husband recently purchased one of my favorite household items at the current time: a flyswatter. Why we haven’t had one up until now, I don’t know. A whole $0.99. I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to the inventor of the flyswatter. I heart you.

My bug-phobia (if I can even call it that, because I’m not afraid of them, I just HATE them) has started to rub off on Alexia. I noticed recently that she will swat at a fly if it gets in her line of vision and then look at me with a smile. (Alexia, this is not a game, we’re at war!). Ryan has on many occasions had to reprimand me for overreacting over a bee swarming around me or the girls. I’ve been known to knock dishes off the table in an attempt to escape a wasp’s path. And Alexia has been yanked out of her highchair and pulled inside until I see the killer bee fly away from our deck.

I have lost track of the ‘roid fly, I’m going to be so annoyed if I hear it flying around while in bed. Wish me luck with my next venture: to rid our home of fruit flies once and for all. (Or at least until next summer.)

No comments: