Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010


We celebrated our Thanksgiving this year with half of Ryan's family at a house on the water that our brother and sister-in-law are housesitting for. There were only five adults (Pops, Ty, Jenna, Ryan and myself) and two kids, one of our smaller holiday dinners. And since my mom-in-law is out of the country visiting Ryan's sister and her family in northern Iraq (Curdistan region), Jenna and I were in charge of the menu.

Our traditional menu included:

Fried turkey, compliments of my bro-in-law, Ty

All compliments of my sis-in-law, Jenna:
Homemade Rolls
Roasted Veggies
Sweet Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Festive Punch

Cranberry Salad, Ryan's contribution
What I busied myself doing all Thanksgiving morning:
Pioneer Woman's Mashed Potatoes
PW's Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie *both pies I used Ina's pie crust, and the recipe makes two crusts!
Homemade Whipped Cream  (minus the rum used in the recipe)
Turkey Gravy straight from the packet!

Here's some shots of our Thanksgiving table:


It was a wonderful meal, and the boys and the little girls jumped in the hot tub as an after-turkey dinner activity. Alexia had been talking about going in the "bath tub" since the last time she was there last weekend. All Thanksgiving morning she kept talking about getting her "swimsuit-underwear" on (that's what she wore the last time) and going in the "bath tub". I'm pretty sure this picture says it all:


Isn't the waterfront view amazing in the background?



After we all had taken a little break and cleaned up, hot tubbed, and caught some of the football game, we had regained our appetite in time for dessert and coffee! Sadly, I forgot to take pictures of my first pumpkin and pecan pie. But those recipes are keepers!

Alexia even warmed up to the dog there at the house, who's name is Buckwheat. (I'm pretty sure I can't say that without giggling). Buckwheat even got close enough to lick her on the lips. Gross, but funny. Alexia just wiped her mouth and said "ach!" in disgust. And later that night Naiya puked on Ryan, I believe because she ate her weight in whipped cream.

But our Thanksgiving was enjoyed, and there are so many things we are thankful for this year.

Hope your family had a cozy Thanksgiving!

No comments: