Saturday, December 19, 2009

30th Birthday. Old School Style.

On November 10th, I turned the big 3-0. And for my 30th birthday, we decided to go old school and celebrate the unforgettable grade school era. Yes, I threw myself an 80's dinner party. I have to admit, I got a little self conscious as it came close to party time. I wondered if people would really dress up. Oh, but they did. Such wonderful friends they are...let their guards down and brought back the 80's. I was so blessed to see our friends and family in some of the ugliest outfits I have ever seen them in.

And the first guests to arrive to start the party off right:
The "ugly flower dress" ("ugly" was the highest honor of compliments for this night):
Even my mom-in-law participated in the fun:
Representing those born in the 80's:

Ryan's brothers accidentally missed the theme by a decade (oops!), but were hys-terical:
Winner for "Best Dressed Dude":
Winner for "Best Dressed Chick":

Best Dressed Baby:
Okay, so maybe it was rigged. Here's the runner-up:
Ryan's birthday present to me...dressing up for the first time at a themed party:
Closer look at Ryan's get-up (compliments of The Goodwill Store):

Closer look at my what was referred to as "stay-at-home mom from the 80's" outfit. Complete with pegged pants and slouched socks:
Turtleneck decked out with 80's accessories (I rocked a necklace worn like this in my 7th grade school picture):

Remember this hair 'do?:
And who could forget Black Hills gold jewelry?:
Glimpse of the 80's favors, jelly bracelets are still a hit:
Goodie bags were filled with Now & Laters, Chinese finger traps and mini slinkies. The outside adorned with photos of old school TV shows and movies:
Slap bracelets:
We handed out a prize (Starbucks gift card) to the winner of the trivia game:
Girls just wanna have fun:
My dad helped with the party deco by sending old school photos, my jr. high ID card, a letter written with a squiggle pen from a friend asking my advice for what boy she should like, one-knee-posed soccer photos, and so many more photos filled with scrunchies, french braids, turtlenecks, baggy sweatshirts, acid-washed jeans with zippers, banana seat bikes, roller skates, big bangs, County Seat sweaters, etc.:


Food and drinks for the party:
All in all, it was a memorable evening and SO worth getting dressed up in humiliating clothes. Thank you all for making it so special and fun to enter into the third decade of my life.




3 comments:

Sarah said...

OH my GOODNESS! These photos are amazing. Truly amazing. (The one of you and Ryan takes the cake. REALLY.) So many fun outfits! And I love the clothesline of photos and notes. Very cute. All of the little touches are great - the labels on the cakes, the gift bags...you did a great job! I'm so bummed that we couldn't come. =( Let's make up for that sometime soon. After we get back from Arkansas from Christmas/New Year's we'll have to come and see you guys. Merry Christmas! We love you all.

mel @ the larson lingo said...

LOVE this party! Love all the 80's details! Wish I lived closer so I could have gone! And, I could have sent you some pictures of us in junior high & high school. yikes!

Anonymous said...

Okay, your outfit is HILARIOUS. I totally rocked that turtleneck with necklace look, too. Love it. The party looked like it was so fun! And your friend's note had me cracking up. I wish I had kept all of mine like that.

Great party!