Friday, March 26, 2010

Valentine's Day Sewing


I never posted, far too lazy (I would like to say busy) to upload the photos to actually show what our Valentine's Day sewing project was. The Valentine tutu shirt idea came from a blog I follow, Joy's Hope.

Here's how they turned out:

Naiya's:

And Alexia's:

Ryan and I are not ones to celebrate Hallmark holidays, but I am finding that they are good excuses to sew and create with/for the girls!

I would also like to mention that I will forever remember this Valentine's Day sewing project.

Literally.

I decided to skip hauling out our huge, screeching ironing board, as I thought it was an unneccesary hazard to my little helpers. Well, it turns out that it is indeed quite necessary. I skipped using it to press the applique onto each shirt, and low and behold, I now have the (somewhat) imprint of an iron on our lovely dining table. For the record, I did fold up a towel and place it under the shirts, assuming it would be enough. Ryan lovingly rescued me from self hatred by proclaiming the iron print gave our table "character". So I keep telling myself that every time I am tempted to inspect the burnt table.

In addition to the festivities, we handed out no-bake cookies with personalized goodie bags, an idea from Martha herself. The cookies were a hit! I ended up letting my husband dig into the last bag that I procrastinated giving to one of my neighbors. (I ended up giving her a few gerber daisies instead.)


2 comments:

mel @ the larson lingo said...

yay! how cute are your girls in their tutu shirts! And, I am DYING about the iron on the dining room table...that is so Shannon! I miss you, friend. When are you coming home for a visit?
p.s. you need to make the peeps shirts for easter. I made them a few days ago, super cute!

Java with the Johnsons said...

so cute to see your girls! great posts... it's amazing how different our kids can be from eachother. I think that all the time with my boys!!