Friday, September 04, 2009

Naiya is 3 Months Old 09.04.09

Coming to the three-month mark has been so much fun. Sleeping through the night? Check. On a scheduled routine? Check. Finally interacting with us? Check.

It has taken me until now to really “feel” connected to Naiya and feel like she is my own. Fortunately, I was forewarned this might be the case by other moms’ experiences with having their second child. I think mostly because I wanted so badly to be able to interact with Naiya, and up until this point, I’ve had to constantly meet her needs without any kind of return of affection. But alas, she is smiling and cooing!

I’m amazed at how different her and Alexia have looked from the get-go. Naiya’s eyes are much more almond-shaped (I’ve had people tell me she looks more asian than I do), but the shape of her head is more Ryan’s side (long and narrow). A couple people (Ryan included) think she looks a bit like Tanya (Ryan’s sister) did when she was a baby. I had a bright idea of putting Naiya in the same outfit as Alexia for each month birthday, to put a creative twist on their comparison photos. However, I had to nix that idea when I found out there’s no way Naiya was fitting in the same outfit Alexia was wearing at her three-month birthday. Alexia was still wearing NB, and Naiya is comfortably fitting in 0-3 months and some 3-6 months.

My dirty little secret about Naiya is that she sleeps on her stomach. In the first couple weeks of her life, she seemed to be able to sleep longer on her belly, so I stuck with it. Probably because she could find her thumb more easily to soothe herself. She gained head control much faster than Alexia (who slept on her back), but the down side to belly sleeping is Naiya usually cries every time she is in her carseat or stroller. I’ve tried slipping in a pacifier for long car rides, but she’s over that (it worked for the first month of her life). Just yesterday, while on a walk with my friend Heather, I discovered if I put Naiya in the double stroller on her stomach (strapped in backwards), she goes right to sleep! Other than getting a dirty look from my pediatrician, I’m fine with having her sleep on her stomach.

I’m really looking forward to putting Naiya’s chubby-self in some cute Fall outfits! There is a pair of brown corduroy pants (compliments of Mr. and Mrs. Parsons) that are waiting for the weather to turn a little more chilly.


No comments: